Kleidarotrypa

Kleidarotrypa is Greek for keyhole. This blog is a keyhole to everything that is on its other side.

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Yawning picture



Now, how in earth did I manage to take this photo of myself?! I really can't remember...but it probably has to do with me playing with my new mobile phone, a Nokia 6630, a free upgrade from Orange.

It's half an hour after midnight and I have yawned 5 times just by seeing this picture...6 now...

So, here is a test. Try to look at this photo for a minute without yawning. Do you think you can make it? I can't...7 and counting...

Here is some stuff on why we yawn; not that you care, but since you are still yawning watching me here, you may want to go to another page...8.....

9, a long one...

How can the use of mobile phones increase our understanding of our surrounding environment? This is one of the questions I ask in my research. An instant photo capture of a yawning man raises a dull action into an extraordinary moment: this is how some theorists of everyday life would perceive it. For me and my companion, Michel de Certeau, the acknowledgment of an everyday action brings me closer to understanding the everyday itself. By confronting an everyday reality, I grasp its value and alter, to an extent, the way I perceive it...

I am consciously going through my 16th yawning in the last 10 minutes, both thinking about it and doing it, and this process brings me closer in making meaning of this repetitive action...the same way, the more we confront constructively our everyday environment, the more we understand its logic and inherent qualities.

Thank God, Michel de Certeau is not any more around to see how people use his ideas...but I bet he would have yawned as well...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home